Robot Rumble Rule Changes
The following changes to the FIRST®Stronghold event procedures and Game play will be in effect for Robot Rumble:
- 3.1.4 Tower: Tower Strength = 8 for all qualification matches.
Tower Strength = 10 for playoff matches.
- 5.5.10 Defense Selection: The Low Bar will always be in Position 1. The remaining available DEFENSES will be: Cheval de Frise, Moat, Ramparts, Rock Wall, Rough Terrain. There are no DEFENSE categories; any four of the five will be present in Positions 2 to 5 of the OUTER WORKS. The Portcullis, Drawbridge and Sally Port will not be used at Robot Rumble.
- During qualification matches, the DEFENSES in Positions 2 to 5 will be randomly selected and placed once per round of all teams playing. There will be no audience selection of DEFENSES.
- During playoff matches, each ALLIANCE will select the defenses and their placement in Positions 2 to 5 of their own OUTER WORKS.
- G21: A ROBOT contacting carpet in the opponent's SECRET PASSAGE may not contact opposing ROBOTS who are in contact with the carpet in the SECRET PASSAGE, regardless of who initiates the contact.
- G38 Clarification: Driving over or getting stuck on a BOULDER while holding another BOULDER will not be a violation of G38.
G13 Exception: In AUTO, a ROBOT that has been fully within the opponent’s COURTYARD (by CROSSING a DEFENSE, or as a “spy bot”), will not incur a FOUL for subsequently crossing the MIDLINE or contacting an opposing ROBOT. G13 and associated penalties are unmodified.
- R5: +5 lb weight allowance (125 lb weight limit)
- Minimal inspection – focus on safety. Teams must be able to demonstrate compliance with all rules if requested.
- Everyone plays in playoffs! Our capacity is 24 teams and 24 are registered. We will have 8 alliances in playoffs.
- 5.4.1 Alliance selection: Standard FRC rules (1 → N) for first pick. Second pick is random draw, in N → 1 order.
- If a BACKUP robot is needed during playoffs, one of the following will be assigned based on availability:
- A Practice Robot brought to the event by a team, (and not already in use by another team), or
- A second-round selection from another alliance who voluntarily wishes to play on two alliances
(if there are multiple volunteers, we will randomly draw one from those with non-conflicting schedules; if both of that team’s alliances win in quarterfinals, the backup team will be replaced by
a random selection from the second-round teams that lost in quarterfinals)
- Playoffs: Standard FIRST Stronghold playoff procedures
(quarterfinals, semifinals, finals; win 2 matches to advance)
Thank you to the organizers of the following off-season events for their creative and insightful rule changes!
IRI: Chief Delphi thread
with rationale: Chief Delphi thread
Chezy Champs: Chief Delphi thread
Battle Cry at WPI: https://www.wpi.edu/news/Events/BattleCry/rules.html
Alliance selection process & playoff schedule
Rumble in the Roads: Chief Delphi thread
Note: 2 new defenses! Chief Delphi thread
MidKnight Mayhem: Chief Delphi thread
Beantown Blitz: Chief Delphi thread
Rah Cha Cha Ruckus: http://ruckus.penfieldrobotics.com/ruckus-information/competition-rules/